Thursday, December 10, 2009

The Trip from Hell

So, the semester is over and my jaw surgery is less than a week away! I made it back to Denver by some miracle, and here is that story...

The Plan: Take my Friday final on Monday. Take my other 2 finals. Take a final on Wednesday morning at 8am, then leave Marquette and drive 7 hours to Chicago for a 7:25pm flight to Denver. Get home Wednesday night, ortho appointment at 9:40am, x-rays at 2pm, appointment with my OS at 3pm today (Thursday).

The Problem: A Blizzard (warning from 7pm on Tuesday to 1am on Thursday)

What actually happened:

My university sent out a message to all students on Tuesday afternoon: bad weather is on it's way, exams might have to be canceled Wednesday, DO NOT LEAVE FOR HOME ON WEDNESDAY. I called my mom, because I was starting to worry about making my flight and everything. We decided that the best thing for me to do was pack up my car and leave...then. I would miss a final, but I could not let this surgery be postponed. I left Marquette within the hour.

I hit very little snow north of Green Bay, but between Green Bay and Milwaukee it started snowing and I was slowed down. After I got through Milwaukee the snow picked up and the road conditions deteriorated. I couldn't see the road, visibility was low, and the snow was wet and heavy. It took me over 3 hours to drive a stretch that normally takes me less than an hour and a half, but I finally made it to my grandparent's house in Chicago.

The weather was supposed to be bad in Chicago until the middle of Wednesday afternoon, so we figured my flight (at 7:25pm) would not be affected by the weather...boy were we wrong! The flight was posting an on time departure all day, and was still when I got to the gate. FOUR HOURS LATER...I was still sitting at the gate. My flight was 3 1/2 hours late departing Chicago, so I got into Denver at 1am and got home around 2.

So, the trip sucked, but I made it! I met with my surgeon this afternoon, but this post is really long, so I'll write an update about that tomorrow!

Best Wishes and a Speedy Recovery to Carrie who had her jaw surgery yesterday!

<3 Stefane

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the little shout out at the end :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wanted to wish you luck before the surgery, however...things got a little complicated! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahaha! Things that involve university/finals and travel are bound to get complicated. I'm wishing you all the best this week...and I'll gladly accept any tips you come up with since we're basically suffering simultaneously. :) It's really not that bad...it's the build up beforehand that's worse I think!!

    ReplyDelete